The Advocate has their annual ranking out of the queerest cities in the US. Clocking in at 15: Berkeley, California:
By day, shop at one of three gay-heavy Whole Foods markets or join activists at UC Berkeley, and at night unwind at the gay-men-only Steamworks Baths (SteamworksBaths.com), all while relaxing in a state that offers nondiscrimination protections for sexual orientation and gender identity in adoption.
This collegiate, liberal bastion also benefits from gay-friendly bookstores such as Pegasus Fine Books (PegasusBookstore.com) and Mrs. Dallowayâ€™s Literary and Garden Arts Bookstore (MrsDalloways.com) that hold special LGBT events to educate and engage the community.
1. LGBT Film FESTs
2. Non-discrimination protections in adoption
3. Muscial Tours: 1 point for each tour of Janet Jackson, Ariana Grande, Carly Rae Jepson, Madonna
4. Chapter of the national LGBT Chamber of Commerce
5. Openly queer mayor
6. Workout: 1 point for each SoulCycle studio, Barryâ€™s Bootcamp studio, Shaun T Beachbody event
7. LGBT sites on the national register: 1 point for each
8. Gay bookstores
9. Places with landmarks that went rainbow for marriage equality: 1 point for each location
10. Scream Queens/American HorrorStory viewing parties
The raw score is divided by the population to provide a ranking based on a per capita LGBT quotient.
At Gay Realty Watch, we look for news to share with you about the gay real estate market – both lgbt real estate news and news specific to gay and lesbian real estate meccas.