Connecticutâ€™s nondiscrimination protections for sexual orientation and gender identity in adoption have put the state on the map as one of the queerest places in the country.
Waterbury, about an hour and a half north of New York City (with connection via Metro-North Rail), serves as a creative hub, thanks to the 1920s Palace Theater (PalaceTheaterCT.org) and gallery space, owing to the cityâ€™s industrial past, such as the Freight Street Gallery (facebook.com/FreightStreetGallery).
LGBT-friendly businesses unite through the New Haven chapter of the Connecticut Gay and Lesbian Chamber (CTGLC.org) and foster an all-welcoming community.
1. LGBT Film FESTs
2. Non-discrimination protections in adoption
3. Muscial Tours: 1 point for each tour of Janet Jackson, Ariana Grande, Carly Rae Jepson, Madonna
4. Chapter of the national LGBT Chamber of Commerce
5. Openly queer mayor
6. Workout: 1 point for each SoulCycle studio, Barryâ€™s Bootcamp studio, Shaun T Beachbody event
7. LGBT sites on the national register: 1 point for each
8. Gay bookstores
9. Places with landmarks that went rainbow for marriage equality: 1 point for each location
10. Scream Queens/American HorrorStory viewing parties
The raw score is divided by the population to provide a ranking based on a per capita LGBT quotient.
At Gay Realty Watch, we look for news to share with you about the gay real estate market – both lgbt real estate news and news specific to gay and lesbian real estate meccas.